Thursday, September 16, 2010

There have been people asking what I'm actually eating these days so I thought I'd post quickly about that.

Breakfast is 1/2 cup instant oatmeal with 1 cup vanilla rice milk. I also add some stevia sweetner for flavour and I've started adding 1 tsp of ground flax for fiber and omega's. I also take my prenatal vit, vit D and calcium citrate.

Lunch is often rice (2:1 ratio of brown to white) with chicken and peas mixed together with some chicken bullion concentrate for flavour. Sometimes I have a biscuit (recipe below) with some turkey slices, carrots and cellery. Sometimes left-over rice pasta with beef and a salad. I've been meaning to get back to salad with chick peas in it but I haven't been motivated yet. I used to eat that with a creamy dressing - which I can't have now.

Dinner varies more. Last night I had the rice-noodles with beef and a salad. Tonight I'm having pork chops, applesauce and sweet potato. A few nights ago I had shredded, fried potatoes and a huge salad.

For snacks I often have unsweetened apple sauce, apple, plain rice cakes, a biscuit, raisins, sunflower seeds or carrots & cellery. I'm drinking mostly water but I'll have black tea, sometimes with honey, or welches grape juice with seltzer (my new 'pop') as a treat. I have been eating way too many plain potato chips - they're so yummy - but I'm going to cut down.

Here is the biscuit recipe. Finally got it right and quite enjoy it.

Whisk together 1 TBS ground flax and 3 TBS warm water. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together:
1 cup flour
1 TBS guar gum if using gluten-free flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
(1/2 tsp nutmeg and 3 tsp cinnamon - can be omitted - Cinnamon gives W gas)
1 tsp liquid Stevia.

In a medium bowl, mix together:
1/2 cup oil
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup vanilla rice milk
Flax/water mixture

Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix. Spoon into greased muffin tins. Bake 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

I think the next time I make them I may try adding 1/2 cup of honey instead of the stevia. I may also use flavoured unsweetened applesauce for a different taste.

No comments: