As part of my resolution this year to decrease the amount of stuff in our house, I have successfully conviced both Kathryn and then Patrick to do something for the community for their Birthday Parties instead of getting a ton of gifts.
Both kids agreed to have a Toonie Party along with collecting donations. Kathryn collected food for the food bank, and used her toonies to purchase a ariel playset from WalMart. Patrick collected donations for the public library and used his toonies to purchase some star-wars lego.
While we didn't weigh the food that Kathryn collected, we did count the $ that Patrick raised - $150. WOW! That is amazing! One kids' party put $150 back into our community, instead of piles of, albeit wonderful, but unnecessary gifts into someone's house.
I am so proud of my children. I am also very happy that the response was so positive for both parties and I hope that this idea will catch on. Imagine all the good we could do in our community, along with teaching our kids about community spirit if parties were about the party, and not about the gifts!
Shaun's mom suggested we call the paper to let them know when we would be dropping off the donations and they came to take the kids' picture! I'm not sure why Kathryn is making that face though....
No comments:
Post a Comment