Monday, June 02, 2008

Today is a special day in our household. A monumental occasion that requires a special picture-full blog entry. Offocially today, we're Crib-less.

Kathryn has been BEGGING us for months to be able to sleep in Patrick's toddler bed. You're probably saying "a-not-quite-17-month-old-cannot'beg'". Well, you're quite wrong!

Everyday, several times a day, infact, Kathryn would run to, and crawl into, Patrick's bed. She'd pull his covers up to her nose and say "ni-ni" over and over and over. She'd get upset when she was removed, and although she loved her crib too, she had a special attraction to Patrick's wee bed.

So... I started looking at beds for Patrick. I checked Sears, and Leons online, and while Sears had some great deals and nice beds, Leons had none which was surprising!

Shaun's mom called this afternoon and offered to watch the kiddos for a bit so we could get out and run some errands and we decided to check the 2 funature stores in town to see what their pricing/availability was like. We ended up buying the first one we saw at the first shop we visited, despite visiting the other one too and being completely unimpressed.

We had to make 2 trips with the bed, headboard and matress because they only had the floor model to sell us. We brought all the pieces home and stashed them upstairs in Patrick's room before rushing to pick up the kids before dinner.

After dinner and clean up, Shaun assembled the pieces and put the bed where we had decided. Then I went up and re-arranged the rest of the room and made up the bed with sheets and blankets and stuffed animals.

In Kathryn's room, I disassebled the crib (using 4 different screwdrives AND 1 wrench) and put it in the spare room closet. Then I put the toddler bed back together with her sheets and blankets, and rearranged her furnature a bit to make her room safer.

When this was all finished, and I had cleaned up, Shaun brought the kids up to see their new rooms and beds.

They were so excited!!!

Here are the pics!!

K's room -
A second view of K's room. All the cords for the electrical things are hidden behind the laundry basket which cannot be removed because the change table blocks it being pulled out.
Kathryn immediately ran to her bed and crawled into it, pulling the blanket up. You can see how pleased she is!!!
Here she is actually sleeping in her bed. After I took the picture, I removed the pillow and helped her re-position.
Patrick's new bed!!
Another view - I still LOVE that closet!!
Another view of P's room showing his 'reading cornor'.
Patrick was so excited when he saw his new bed. He ran over and jumped on it! He kept repeating 'new bed! new bed!' while jumping and laughing.
A happy boy in his new bed!
Pretending to sleep, snuggled in his favourite blanket.
Now the trick will be to see how much sleeping goes on tonight. We've put the pressure gate accross K's doorway, and we're keeping the gate at the top of the stairs latched so P can't roam downstairs. We've already put him back to bed several times each, but I do believe he's sleeping now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's great Deb, Belle was the same at about 17 months - it shows that some kids are just ready and we have to follow their lead!