Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Natropathic Doctor Visit
William and I saw Stephanie Jennings about his gas issues and what parts of my diet may be affecting it. It was a very long session (over an hour!) and she took an extensive history about his belly issues, rash, delivery, gestation and overall being. I liked that she was so indepth about the history as to get a clearer picture about what may be bothering him.

She recommended several homeopathic remidies (including chamomile tea) but the only one I purchased was a probiotic powder that I can give him by bottle mixed with my own breastmilk. It was quite expensive and requires refridgeration but I know probiotics will help to balance the good bacteria in his belly, which should decrease his gas output. I plan to use this for a week before even considering adding anything else to his belly.

She also recommended 2 healing balms for his diaper rash. The rash itself is down to a very small ring around his anus that you can barely see unless you know its there. Trusting her knowledge, I agreed to try one of the ointments and see how his skin reacts.

As you can see, I'm very cautious about introducing new things to William. I understand she thinks these things are necessary, but I'm not convinced. Again, I am willing to try things but only one at a time with sufficient space between introductions.

She also did a bit of an adjustment (she called it Bowen Therapy) which definetly had results later in the day. William was incredibly fussy and gassy and filling a lot of diapers. So i guess it worked? He slept awesome last night (9:30 - 3:30 and easily back down till 6:30). He is still a bit fussy today, however, Shaun and I agree we would prefer that to happen during the day instead of at night!!

She also talked to me about my diet and suggested that perhaps limiting myself to just those things was a bit much and would deny my body of proper nutrition She suggested I follow the Type-O Blood Type Diet to help heal my own body and in turn help to heal William's. She did agree that he likely has a milk-protein sensitivity as well as likely a wheat one.

Now, I remember the blood type diet from earlier in my life. I remember looking at a book for it and thinking "this is crazy". However, since she gave me the diet suggestions, I am willing to give it some thought and research. Afterall, it probably won't hurt as long as I keep cutting out dairy and wheat as well as the other things I am certain set him off (whole eggs, strawberries, tomatoes, chocolate) and keeping my diet fairly neutral and bland.

For interest sake, I put "blood type diet" into my google search and came up with all sorts of links.
wickipedia gives a good impartial overview
D'adamo is a link directly to the homeopathic doctor who founded the diet
The Diet Channel gives an overview and questions the science that it is founded in
Toroto Vegetarian Association also questions the diet and is critical of it
Everydiet.org had a fairly negative view of it as well
Skeptic.com was very negative of it.

Personally I am skeptic of it as well. And in all honesty, when I highlight the neutral and beneficial foods that I like it resembles a diet I might put myself on for health or weight loss.

Mostly I went to the Naturopath to get the food-sensitivity blood test. That is what I most want to find out and I will in about 4 weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm very surprised you were recommended to follow the Blood Type diet Deb! I'm with the critics on this one. I looked into this a while back too when it made its way on to the scene and couldn't believe that people were actually buying into it. Here is one funny little blurb I read about it:

"Another book, Eat Right 4 Your Type recommends different foods depending on one’s blood type and is “about as scientific as a horoscope,” according to CSPI. For example, the book recommends that women with a family history of breast cancer consider eating more snails."