Friday, June 11, 2010

William is BORN!

Well, it was quite the experience this time. The nurse in day surgery prep made me pass out because she insisted I lay on my back for longer than necessary, and then missed the vein on the first try... it was not good. I was sure I was going to lose consiciousness.

The anesthiologist got an IV in my hand on the first go and was fantastic. She pumped me full of great meds that kept me from puking and she listened to me tell her how I was feeling and tried to make it better.

The surgery itself went fine. W was born at 8:27 a.m. and weighed 8lbs 14 oz and 20.5 inches long! He had a great cry and apgar scores were 9 and 10.

I didn't spend that much time in recovery this timewhich was great. I did, however, react to the morphine in my spinal and was super itchy... I got some benedryl in my IV but I was itchy for about 24 hours.

Shaun kept with W until my sister arrived and I was in my room at 11. They both took care of us both until mid afternoon when Shaun went back to Port to be with the kids and allow his parents to come and visit.

W was ravenous! He would nurse 10-15 minutes or so and then gulp down 50 mL of formula every 3 hours or so. Kid has a big tank!! This was when I first got to hold him. He wasn't as happy as I was at that point.

Bonding with Auntie Sara. My sis stayed with me the 2 nights in the hospital and was just fantastic!! She helped me cope with the irritating nurses who all told me different things and had different expectations and, despite already have 2 kids of my own, decided they knew better than I did about how my body would react. Yep. Gotta love nurses.

Our precious little William!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He is beautiful Deb! I hate how some nurses can be so pushy. they ruined my experience with Jordan. After 2 visits to the Orangeville maternity wing there has only been one nurse that rubbed me the wrong way, thank goodness.
I can't remember my blog account info so I have to go anonymous. :)

Cathy