Friday, June 04, 2010

One Week Today

By the time I woke up this morning, it was already 6:30. I tried to go back to sleep but both hips had 'had it' and there was no getting comfortable. But thats OK. Because 1 week today I'll already be at the hospital being prepped for my c-section.

Thats right! We have to be at the hospital by 6:30 next Friday which means leaving the house by 5:30 at the latest. Which means I'll probably get up around 4:30 which isn't really an issue since I suspect I won't be doing much sleeping that night anyway.

Everything is ready for Mr. W as far as I can tell. Bags for the hospital are packed (except mine needs a few last minute additions like my hairbrush) and things at home are set up and waiting. Clothing is washed, sorted and folded. Diapers are purchased. In my head I look around and think "all we need is the baby!"

This pregnancy overall hasn't been too rough. Sure I got the standard morning sickness for the first 14 weeks and had to take diclectin, but I only threw up once. And I've got swelling for sure and carpal tunnel that does seem to get a little bit worse every day, but that is all par for the course for me being pregnant and I know that in 1 short week my body will start to get back to normal, well as normal as you can get while being sleep deprived and lugging around a wack of milk on your chest.

This weekend we're going to do our darndest to enjoy the last few days of being a family of 4. We're planning to take the kids to the museum for the very first time ever and as an added bonus the company we hired to take down an unstable tree in our yard is coming today so we'll get to watch that happen.

Mostly though, I'm going to make sure I spend some special time with each kiddo and make sure I take some pictures. I know K wants to watch a movie with me - she is such a snuggle bug!! I know she is worried about the upcoming changes so I try to talk to her about how things will and won't change to ease her fears. She's been very clingy and she says and does things that let me know she's been thinking about how life will change when William is on the outside. I'm trying to reassure her that things will change but she will still be my sweet princess. She knows I'm having surgery and I won't be able to pick her up, but that we can still snuggle if she crawls into my lap on the couch.

I am really hoping that she will be my helper and she won't be feeling too displaced with William's arrival. Not sure if I have mentioned in the blog, but she is convinced she is pregnant also with a little girl, named Rachel, and we are due on the same day. Shaun and I have actually purchased a little life-like doll that will be waiting for Kathryn at the hospital (hopefully in a second hospital basinet!) when she comes to visit. Kathryn and I have talked lots about our babies being able to play together and that she'll be able to nurse Rachel and I nurse William, etc, etc. She has a swing for Rachel, a bouncy seat, a high chair, a car seat, a cradle, a stroller and lots of other dolly-accessories that she has collected which will help it seem more real, I hope!

Kathryn will also be getting a gift from William - a tradition lots of families carry out to make the addition of a younger, needier sibling go over better. My sister-in-law gave the kids a Nemo Bubble Blower but, unfortunately, it stopped working last year and I couldn't fix it so it went in the garbage. Well, Kathryn has never stopped asking for it and asking us to get a new one. Last fall, I found one on super clearance at WM and put it away for just such an occasion! So that is what she will be getting. i think I have her convinced that they don't make them anymore, so hopefully she'll be taken with the idea that William found her one.

Patrick seems less concerned about William's arrival. Afterall, he's done this before right? He's also quite the independent kid who rarely wants/needs to snuggle or have our undivided attention. He likes to play on his own and that will be very helpful. He has, however, just discovered the fun of card-games and is really into "UNO". I'm going to be sure to get lots of games in this weekend and next week!

William's gift to Patrick is a bag-full of art supplies since his current 'thing' is to draw and write and create wtih paper. These items will become part of his in-room desk supplies that he can have access to anytime he wants.

I also have a couple of new DVDs and some books put away for those moments when I can't spend undivided time with the kids because William is being needy which will hopefully take the 'edge' of having to wait.

As for baby supplies and periphenillia, I purchased 2 new things this time. I know that sounds absolutely insane since this is my 3rd and final baby. The first new thing was an "udder cover" - a stylish but very functional cover-up for when nursing. It has a rigid piece at the top so you can curve it slightly enabling you to look down and see the baby latch. Its also helpful for keeping the fabric off baby's face and letting air circulate.

The second (and crazier) purchase was a second-hand basinett. I was actually loaned a lovely antique wooden basinett by a dear friend but when I was looking it at earlier this week and thinking about my room situation I could not figure out how to make it fit! Also, it is quite large and heavy and with my c-section there is no way I could move it if I wanted. Besides, I needed something to panic about, right?! So yesterday I scowered Kijjii and the super swaps on facebook and found a really nice one in Orangeville of all places. Its got adjustible height (less bending is good when you've just had abdominal surgery) and it has wheels so I can potentially move it around easily. For added features, its also got a light, a little mobile, plays music and has a vibration function - all of which I am unlikely to use because that will make transition to a crib harder. My parents are going to pick it up today for me and then bring it when they come to the house next week. I hope it is as nice as the pictures - seems strange to purchase something on pictures alone but I know my mom will inspect it thoroughly and if its not good enough she won't get it.

So... after all that... I think we are ready to go!! Just 7 more sleeps!

No comments: