Sunday, August 01, 2010

Elimination (Starvation?) Diet

I've decided to try a breastfeeding elmination diet. I'm starting today.

I dedcided last night that I was going to give it a try after W was so full of gas and couldn't settle. Its so hard to listen to him cry and at the same time so frustrating because it only happens at night.

Last night was particulary difficult.

So, my friend Melanie sent me a document with the breastfeeding elimination diet. Basically you eat nothing by 6 foods. I am modifying it a bit because I know certain things don't bother him. But I will be completely cutting out dairy (still) as well as corn and wheat.

These are the biggest offenders (known as the nasty 9)
-Dairy
-Wheat
-Shellfish (don't eat that!)
-Soy
-Egg Whites
-Tree Nuts
-Peanuts
-Corn
-Tomatoes

And this is how the diet is supposed to be:
- Turkey
- Lamb
- Potatoes (white and sweet)
- Squash
- Rice
- Pears (or pear juice)

So, until I get the results from the blood test (I go to see her on Tuesday) I'll only be eating rice and rice products, potatoes (white and sweet), and chicken. Mostly I'll be drinking water (and rice milk). The diet actually says to use Turkey, but I'm fairly certain that W is OK with plain chicken.

Yes. This is going to be very difficult. But if it means we can have peaceful nights, I'm willing to give it a try. As Shaun said, if he's still full of gas after I've done this for a week then I'll know its not my diet.

I went this morning to Walmart to get a few more rice products and a bag of poatoes and discovered that all but plain rice cakes have corn in them as the 2nd ingredient. Crazy! There is corn in just about everything we eat!!

Here's what I've come up with for foods. Feel free to suggest others.

Rice krispies and rice milk
mashed potatoes (made with a bit of olive oil and salt)
sweet potatoes
rice made with chicken broth
golden chicken (rice cooked in chicken broth with sweet potatoes)
plain rice cakes
plain potato chips (in moderation of course, since they are deep fried)
shredded potato fried in a bit of olive oil and salt for taste
Baked chicken/BBQ chicken.

I can also have pears (forgot about that). I'll have to pick some up.

So, stay tuned to listen to me whine about my diet or rave about great nights. We'll just have to see how this all turns out.

And now for a snack of rice krispies and rice milk. Yum.

6 comments:

Kris said...

I really hope this works for you guys:) i'll be crossing my fingers and i will not mention any of the food i eat in front of you..lol...good luck and i hope this is an answer for you guys

Deb said...

Thanks Kris. Its definetly going to be difficult, but I hope it will be worth it, at least until I get the results from the blood test.

Kelly said...

Wow, you are one dedicated mom! Some women would have given up on breastfeeding by now (myself probably included). Kudos to you Deb - William is one lucky little man. Here's hoping your sacrifice(s) pay off quickly!!

Deb said...

Thanks Kelly. I have contemplated giving up but at this point I'm not sure there is a formula he could tolerate so I will preservere. I really hope the naturopath has answers.

Naomi said...

way to go...its a rough road...I had to go on a similar trek...although not as strict. I know that its alot to take in right now, but it will be worth it to find out his issues now that fight with it for years!
You are doing an awesome job and are being the best mommy you can be!

Anonymous said...

You are doing a wonderful thing Deb! Like Kelly said, most moms would have just given up with the breastfeeding by now. I'm sure after a couple weeks of this you will start to get some answers as to what is bothering poor little William!