Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Surviving

My first day alone with all three kids went well! Better than I expected in fact. I fell back into my old pattern easily, and William fit in fine. It helped that he had a 3.5 hour nap in the afternoon and it even overlapped with the kids 'rest' time. Awesome. I even did a load of laundry and cleaned out part of K's closet! Coming out of that first day I am feeling quite confident in my abilities to make this work.

Besides surviving and the above mentioned chores, we also went for a visit in the morning to K's daycare to pick up paperwork and to introduce William. I am sooo very happy that K is looking forward to going back to little school. She starts on the 16th and will be going Thursdays. I have her on the wait list for Tuesdays as well. Not sure if she will need it, or if I will want her gone 2 days, but want to have the option when it arises, especially this winter.

We also played about an hour of hide-and-seek in the house, played Alphabet bingo, built a train, played with K's castle, watched half of The Little Mermaid and played with the K'Nex dog building set. Whew!

Today is going well too. William was up early, but I got a shower after he passed out again for 45 minutes. Everyone was up by 7. We watched a new Barbie Movie while eating breakfast, and then Shaun's mom and little Abby came for a visit. We all walked to the park and came back for snack. Then Sherry, Patrick's previous therapist came for a visit which was wonderful. She's such a nice person and we'd missed her. She stayed for 45 minutes and then we had lunch - it was 12:30 at this point. After lunch, P&K went up for their rest-time and William had a fussy time. Actually, he's been fussy all morning but I'm dealing with it. Sometimes he has to wait. Thats part of being a family. I'm also getting really good at eating meals standing up while bouncing him since that is what settles him best. So far, no spillage or choaking!

Now William is napping in the swing and Patrick just got up and is playing in the living room. K will probably sleep until 2:30 and then there is talk of a visit from Shaun's sister, her hubby, Abby and Grandma for a dip in the pool!! If not I may be brave and take all 3 to the grocery store. Their carts accomodate all 3 kiddos at once with a bit of space for groceries too. See? I'm even feeling confident!

Right now I am cooking pasta for supper. I bought some rice pasta for myself and I'll have it with the beef (Shaun is making spaghetti) and mix it with beef bullion and green beans. Should be yummy - and its different than just regular rice.

If William lets me, I'm going to quickly vacuum the basement and maybe do the dishes!

4 comments:

Anna Q said...

GOOD JOB DEB!!!! It's not the same at all but I remember my first day home alone with both boys. The day after I gave birth. It wasn't all day, just a few hours, but I was petrified. It sounds like you did really well and I'm amazed at how much you got done. But you've always been more productive with your days than me :) I should get some tips from you on how you do it.

How do the carts accomodate 3 kids? Any chance I could get you to take a picture? I'm really curious.

Deb said...

Thanks Anna. Today got off on the wrong foot so I'm glad I'd already documented the past 2 days of success or I might have a more bitter post about it.

About getting stuff done - I just seize the moment generally. We're in the basement? Cool. I can fold a load and then play. We're upstairs? I can get it put away, or tidy a room while the kids are playing, etc. Often I get the most done when the kids are resting... such a small window these days. I am looking forward to Thursdays when P&K are both at school! But I will also take the time to rest.

I just may take my camera to get a picture of all 3 in the shopping cart - what a great idea, thanks!

Rika said...

You sound like a expert Mom of 3 already. Are you tired all the time? You rock Deb.
xo

Deb said...

Thanks Rika!

Some days I am more tired than others. NIghts seem short and interrupted as W is back to getting up 2-3x. He was sleeping thru till 4ish and then back down again but now he's up more frequently and that makes for a tired mommy.

Also, now that I'm not having cola and I've cut out sugar I'm pretty tired... withdrawl I guess. I hope that doesn't last much longer.