Wednesday, July 28, 2010

We think we may finally know what is causing William to be so gassy and uncomfortable.

About 4 weeks ago, Shaun was doing some research on the internet about William's awful bum rash. The rash started after we got home from the hospital and got to the point that it would bleed with every change. We started using wet cloths instead of wipes but that wasn't really helping. Vaseline did nothing and my miracle butt-paste that cleared P&K's bottoms literally between changes did nothing. We started using canestan/hydrocortisone cream mixed 50/50 but that also made very little improvement to his poor little tooshie.

On the internet, Shaun discovered that his rash (it had a specific pattern) could be caused by a lactose-intolerance. So, I cut lactose from my diet, including all packaged stuff contining milk products or lactose... even those just with 'may contain traces of'. I did, however, continue to use small amounts of butter to flavour rice/pasta. Websites said that the lactose content of butter is very very low, so I was comfortable continuing to use it sparingly for flavour.

After a week there was definite improvement in his tooshie. We were still using the canestan/hydrocortisone cream with every other change, alternating with the butt paste and using corn starch with every change too, along with using wet cloths and no diaper wipes.

However, there was a lingering 'circle' rash that just wouldn't clear. We were happy because at least it wasn't bleeding!

Meanwhile, since I had cut out all dairy I was using soy milk, but only in my coffee. I had tried to drink it but it was just awful. I decided after I finished up the soy, I would try lactose-free milk.

On Monday I had lactose-free milk on cereal for breakfast. It was so nice to have cereal!! And to have milk!!

That night we had the night from hell. William was completley inconsolable, full of gas, couldn't sleep, miserable. It was not good. We were exhausted and cranky too. Something was definetly wrong.

Doing some more research into what might have set him off, I stumbled across information on milk-protein allergy/sensitivity which manifests similar symptoms to lactose intolerance in breastfed infants. It made complete sense! That milk I had for breakfast sent his little tummy into a tailspin. Also, it said that infants that have milk-protein sensitivity likely also had soy-protein sensitivity... that little remaining rash could have been from the little bit of soy I was having daily or from the bits of butter I was still using.

So, now I am eliminating all dairy and soy. I'll be picking up some rice milk to try on my cereal. Rice is one of 6 foods cited as being the most unlikely that a breast-fed infant would react to. Although I think I would prefer almond milk, I'll go with 'safe' and 'bland' for now.

We've also identified eggs, chocolate, strawberries and tomatoes as potential things that set off his stomach. I do have a bit of tomato sauce on my spaghetti - but we only eat that once every couple of weeks so I'm comfortable with that for now.

A friend of mine emailed me yesterday about seeing a natropathic doctor... there is a test they can do on the mother's blood to see what digested foods produce a reaction - these would be the ones that are getting into the breast milk and could be affecting the baby. Two of my friends have done this and have seen the change in their baby as a result of cutting out the offending foods. I have booked an appointment to see the natropathic doctor she suggested and look forward to learning more about this test. The biggest downfall of it is that it is over $200. Fortunately Shaun's benefits will pay us back about half.

We are also using homeopathic colic drops - Cocyntal - which seem to be helping. Shaun scored 4 boxes on clearance (with good dates) at WM.


So thats where we are at. I am hoping these things all work together to give the little guy some relief, and in return, give us some sleep!

No comments: